The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough University LGBTQ+

Hi, I was just wondering what the dating scene is like at Loughborough particularly for LGBTQ+ students as there is a majority male population at Loughborough which already means a lower likelihood of (female) dating options haha.
Me personally, I'm not really into going to LGBTQ societies but more so meeting other gay people so was wondering what that is like?
Reply 1
This is so funny omg😭😭😂
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
LGBTQITP+ society at my uni and the local gay club was always just a shag fest, so dont street there will be lots of sex queen yasss :wink:
I'm a student at Loughborough and bisexual, so I can speak a little on this.
The student's union hosts OUT (LGBTQ+ club night) at least once a semester.
The male:female ratio at Loughborough is definitely heavily skewed towards men, but there are loads of gay/bisexual girls out there. The sport I do (baseball + softball) has pretty much mostly gay/bi girls joining and football and rugby tend to have a lot of bi/gay girls too.
I think if you want to meet other LGBTQ+ people without going to specific LGBTQ+ societies it's probably your best bet to join some kind of sport club and try to meet girls there :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lot.burgstra
The male:female ratio at Loughborough is definitely heavily skewed towards men, but there are loads of gay/bisexual girls out there. The sport I do (baseball + softball) has pretty much mostly gay/bi girls joining and football and rugby tend to have a lot of bi/gay girls too.
I think if you want to meet other LGBTQ+ people without going to specific LGBTQ+ societies it's probably your best bet to join some kind of sport club and try to meet girls there :smile:
Thank you very much for this 🙂 I am into sports so will definitely give it a go! Do you yourself have any experience with LGBTQ+ societies? I’m not completely against the idea of going but I don’t know if it is for me
Original post by lot.burgstra

Has the fact there are a more men at the university ever been an issue? in terms of safety or making friends or anything like that? My education has predominantly been at girls schools so I'm a bit concerned about the social aspect of it.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you very much for this 🙂 I am into sports so will definitely give it a go! Do you yourself have any experience with LGBTQ+ societies? I’m not completely against the idea of going but I don’t know if it is for me

I don't really have any experience with joining any LGBTQ+ societies myself. I think we don't have any specific societies like that apart from the LGBTQ+ network, which is a Welfare&Diversity association and so they will put on events that any student (but especially LGBTQ+) can get involved in.

Obviously, it's really nice to meet like-minded people who share your experiences, but I have found that making friends organically is the best way to go. I have loads of friends from the LGBTQ+ community, but I also have loads of friends who are straight white males, religious, etc and I all love them dearly.
I would honestly place more focus on joining clubs/societies that suit your interests as these will be the places where you will find your people and hopefully there will be LGBTQ+ people in that mix :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #2
Has the fact there are a more men at the university ever been an issue? in terms of safety or making friends or anything like that? My education has predominantly been at girls schools so I'm a bit concerned about the social aspect of it.

It really hasn't been an issue for me ever. I'm mixed-race, neurodivergent and bisexual, so I am very much a minority on campus but I have found that everyone has been extremely welcoming and I haven't had any issues or had friends that had any issues. That being said, not everyone will have a completely 100% amazing experience and there might be hiccups along the way, but they are very rare.

The campus is extremely safe as there is always campus security on campus 24/7 and even if you're in town, you can still call campus security if something happens and they will come. The University also has community officers in town, so if anything happens there will always be support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending