The Student Room Group

A bit of a long read! - bf and his past impacting me

Basically I met this guy around 2023 jan but weren’t close. He’d joke around with me and bantered but i was the nonchalant type. I know he meant not harm by his words because he normally jokes around like that with everyone but i was sensitive and took it seriously so i didn't really speak to him. Fast forward to september 2023, we met again through some friends. At this point i was less sensitive, more approachable and less ‘prestige’ from what he said himself and we met again and spoke a bit. At this point, me and him were around a circle of friends, and this girl really liked him (i'll name her zoe). Zoe was someone I’d known for 2-3 years and she liked this guy. I also kinda developed feelings for him long before she met him, but i was scared to tell him, in the fear the feelings weren’t mutual and i had studies that i wanted to focus on.
So zoe and this guy were not official but were talking and I respected that cos I was happy that she was happy and he was happy. But this guy would openly flirt with me on group chats. We were friends so we did talk privately here and there. Thing is, this guy’s muslim and zoe is not and obviously muslims can't really marry someone who isn’t muslim. Me and him did have a convo abt it randomly and he told me he did have feelings for her but didn't see a future with her bc of their differences. I suggested if she’d convert, but that wasn’t possible.
I suggested he’d talk about it to her early on so she knows about what is going on and to prevent her from getting even more hurt in the future, but that was only my suggestion as a friend. He said he would talk to her about not being able to be official so she wouldn't be as hurt. He told me this multiple times that he would talk to her and I did tell him it was the best for both of them.
Another night, I talked to him about why he flirted and all with me whilst in a talking stage with another girl and meeting up with her. After a bit of getting it out of him, he admitted to liking me. I was confused because he had feelings for 2 different girls? Side note: He’s muslim and so am I from south asian descent. He tells me he doesn't see anything with the girl and he’d talk to her about not being able to be official, but doesnt know how to and wants to say it to her face to face when they next meet up. This convo was brought up quite a lot of times and I helped him to be able to speak it out with her. I didn’t admit to liking him back. So we speak a little while for a few months. The guy works a really good job and is funny. We spoke quite a bit for the next few months and he cut down on speaking to her, eventually talking to her about it, in which she was heartbroken but she accepted the fact that due to their differences, they cannot be together.
One night after he went to sleep, I was talking to a friend who was in our friend group and who was somewhat close to Zoe. It was obvious that the guy liked me bc he would openly flirt to me, even though I assumed he’d do it as a joke, he had that flirty sorta persona. But ever since he started flirting with me, it was only done with me and none of the other girls on group chats or private, anywhere. This friend told me that the guy and the girl both met up a last time and did the deed. Honestly it came as quite a shock to me because he told me soo many times that he did not see anything with her yet this happened. A man who couldn't stick to his own word is what disgusted me. I wanted to know if this was true so me and this friend kinda delved deeper. I was honestly upset. So during a random conversation I asked about him and the girl's whereabouts, where they went, when they met and what they did each day. The last time they met I asked what they did and they planned some games outdoors but it was raining, so they booked a hotel to watch a movie. I already saw where this was going so I asked what movie they watched and jokingly said that it must’ve been hard to sit still whilst watching a movie with a girl you like. He did admit that some stuff did happen and he wanted to tell me it on call. I was sick but I was glad he didn't hide it. He did take a bit of time to say it on call because he did find it hard to say on call. He told me however, they didn't do the deed and swore on it. They did some other intimate things and made out etc etc. He said he was meaning to tell me this before and didn't deny the fact anything happened between them. I was obviously mad saying he couldn't keep to his word and he apologised and regretted it.
My other friend asked Zoe what happened but she didn't explain but he told her that she did let the guy know about her period coming in when he jokingly asked ‘are you sure you’re not pregnant’. He did tell me that she did tell him wherever her period came in since they met, so it wasn’t new. I was obviously in love and accepted that he swore that the deed did not happen between them but other stuff did happen, and I believed him.
We’re now been together for 3 months and I haven't been able to shake off the fact him and her did those things together. He treats me well, occasionally buys me gifts even when i don't want to accept it, reassures that he loves me especially after these 3 months and his boys who are not part of our lil friendship group also know of me and him. He isn’t scared to show his corny side to me. However this past thing about him and her always gets to my head. Am I right to be mad about it? Will this ever impact me in 1 year, 2 years, 10 years time? Will this ever happen again in the future with another girl? I spoke about it to him and he swore it was an accident and he regrets it really bad but cannot do anything to change the past even though I am right to be upset. He said he’s never loved a girl more than he’s loved me and is willing to show it till this matter never affects me. I have brought it up so many times, it hurts him too knowing it hurts me. How do I move on?
Reply 1
When did your boyfriend 'go back on his word'? Just because a man says he doesn't see a future with a woman doesn't mean he can't/won't sleep with her. You weren't together or official or exclusive, so why is it a problem? Plus you were flirting with him when he was interested in someone else, and pushing him to break it off, so maybe you shouldn't complain about his behaviour? You weren't 'respecting' that he was talking with Zoe.

And actually, a Muslim man can marry a non-Muslim.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Basically I met this guy around 2023 jan but weren’t close. He’d joke around with me and bantered but i was the nonchalant type. I know he meant not harm by his words because he normally jokes around like that with everyone but i was sensitive and took it seriously so i didn't really speak to him. Fast forward to september 2023, we met again through some friends. At this point i was less sensitive, more approachable and less ‘prestige’ from what he said himself and we met again and spoke a bit. At this point, me and him were around a circle of friends, and this girl really liked him (i'll name her zoe). Zoe was someone I’d known for 2-3 years and she liked this guy. I also kinda developed feelings for him long before she met him, but i was scared to tell him, in the fear the feelings weren’t mutual and i had studies that i wanted to focus on.
So zoe and this guy were not official but were talking and I respected that cos I was happy that she was happy and he was happy. But this guy would openly flirt with me on group chats. We were friends so we did talk privately here and there. Thing is, this guy’s muslim and zoe is not and obviously muslims can't really marry someone who isn’t muslim. Me and him did have a convo abt it randomly and he told me he did have feelings for her but didn't see a future with her bc of their differences. I suggested if she’d convert, but that wasn’t possible.
I suggested he’d talk about it to her early on so she knows about what is going on and to prevent her from getting even more hurt in the future, but that was only my suggestion as a friend. He said he would talk to her about not being able to be official so she wouldn't be as hurt. He told me this multiple times that he would talk to her and I did tell him it was the best for both of them.
Another night, I talked to him about why he flirted and all with me whilst in a talking stage with another girl and meeting up with her. After a bit of getting it out of him, he admitted to liking me. I was confused because he had feelings for 2 different girls? Side note: He’s muslim and so am I from south asian descent. He tells me he doesn't see anything with the girl and he’d talk to her about not being able to be official, but doesnt know how to and wants to say it to her face to face when they next meet up. This convo was brought up quite a lot of times and I helped him to be able to speak it out with her. I didn’t admit to liking him back. So we speak a little while for a few months. The guy works a really good job and is funny. We spoke quite a bit for the next few months and he cut down on speaking to her, eventually talking to her about it, in which she was heartbroken but she accepted the fact that due to their differences, they cannot be together.
One night after he went to sleep, I was talking to a friend who was in our friend group and who was somewhat close to Zoe. It was obvious that the guy liked me bc he would openly flirt to me, even though I assumed he’d do it as a joke, he had that flirty sorta persona. But ever since he started flirting with me, it was only done with me and none of the other girls on group chats or private, anywhere. This friend told me that the guy and the girl both met up a last time and did the deed. Honestly it came as quite a shock to me because he told me soo many times that he did not see anything with her yet this happened. A man who couldn't stick to his own word is what disgusted me. I wanted to know if this was true so me and this friend kinda delved deeper. I was honestly upset. So during a random conversation I asked about him and the girl's whereabouts, where they went, when they met and what they did each day. The last time they met I asked what they did and they planned some games outdoors but it was raining, so they booked a hotel to watch a movie. I already saw where this was going so I asked what movie they watched and jokingly said that it must’ve been hard to sit still whilst watching a movie with a girl you like. He did admit that some stuff did happen and he wanted to tell me it on call. I was sick but I was glad he didn't hide it. He did take a bit of time to say it on call because he did find it hard to say on call. He told me however, they didn't do the deed and swore on it. They did some other intimate things and made out etc etc. He said he was meaning to tell me this before and didn't deny the fact anything happened between them. I was obviously mad saying he couldn't keep to his word and he apologised and regretted it.
My other friend asked Zoe what happened but she didn't explain but he told her that she did let the guy know about her period coming in when he jokingly asked ‘are you sure you’re not pregnant’. He did tell me that she did tell him wherever her period came in since they met, so it wasn’t new. I was obviously in love and accepted that he swore that the deed did not happen between them but other stuff did happen, and I believed him.
We’re now been together for 3 months and I haven't been able to shake off the fact him and her did those things together. He treats me well, occasionally buys me gifts even when i don't want to accept it, reassures that he loves me especially after these 3 months and his boys who are not part of our lil friendship group also know of me and him. He isn’t scared to show his corny side to me. However this past thing about him and her always gets to my head. Am I right to be mad about it? Will this ever impact me in 1 year, 2 years, 10 years time? Will this ever happen again in the future with another girl? I spoke about it to him and he swore it was an accident and he regrets it really bad but cannot do anything to change the past even though I am right to be upset. He said he’s never loved a girl more than he’s loved me and is willing to show it till this matter never affects me. I have brought it up so many times, it hurts him too knowing it hurts me. How do I move on?

It's hurts for about a year
Original post by Anonymous #1

I feel like its always gonna be at the back of ur mind. He hid things from u and was with another girl whilst flirting w u?? But if hes showing he's changed it's a good thing but nothing good often comes out of a haraam relationship please be careful and dont trust boys wholeheartedly just because u think ur in love, ik its not the best advice and not what u might want to hear but im just trying to help u out. I'd also say stop living in ur head so much and overthinking but if u have a gut feeling about something please do something about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending