The Student Room Group

Student accommodation move in date delayed- am I right to be annoyed?

I am moving into private accommodation and was due to move in yesterday. The person moving out had a family emergency and needed to go home so all of his stuff was still there and my move in has been delayed. I am paying for the room and I do feel sorry for the person but how long am I going to realistically wait to move into a room I am paying for? Apparently the person might come back today or Saturday but I am not going to be moving in realistically until at least Wednesday.

How long do you think it will be reasonable for me to wait? The person is moving to another room in the building.
Original post by Oxfordbecky
I am moving into private accommodation and was due to move in yesterday. The person moving out had a family emergency and needed to go home so all of his stuff was still there and my move in has been delayed. I am paying for the room and I do feel sorry for the person but how long am I going to realistically wait to move into a room I am paying for? Apparently the person might come back today or Saturday but I am not going to be moving in realistically until at least Wednesday.
How long do you think it will be reasonable for me to wait? The person is moving to another room in the building.

You can't be expeccted to pay if the room is not vacant. Ask the landlord ...
Reply 2
The building manager is not back until Tuesday due to the bank holiday. Do you think I should be very insistent about moving in on that date?
The building manager is not back until Tuesday due to the bank holiday. Do you think I should be very insistent about moving in on that date?

Yes - and they shoould not charge you until you move in. You aren't occupying the room the previous person should be paying.
Reply 4
Okay thanks- I just wanted to check I wasn’t being crazy or too unsympathetic
Okay thanks- I just wanted to check I wasn’t being crazy or too unsympathetic

No you're not. You could be homeless!

The person should be packed up ready to go anyway. Yes, we all have emergencies but have to work around them.
Is there no 'out f hours' contact number for the accommodation?
Reply 6
There is yes. Do you think it would be worth calling them to make them aware? I think I will wait until Tuesday but no longer than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending