The Student Room Group

What is the worst looking uni?

Scroll to see replies

UEA is pretty damn ugly on the outside...looks like my local shopping centre carpark! The ziggerauts are nice though :smile:

This building put me off Portsmouth uni until I saw all the new buildings I'd actually be learning and living in. I think this one is due to be demolished and rebuilt luckily.
Salford is probably the worst I have ever had the misfortune of visiting.
Reply 182
Original post by Picnic1
And, to rub salt in the wound, if you look for Google images 'University of Sussex' one of the first images is of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge which looks a charming little beauty:

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Cambridgeshire/images/CambridgeUniversitySidneySussexCollege.jpg

Ooh, that is pretty! If only the architects of Sussex University took some inspiration from there.
Stirlings buildings are ****ing minging, but the landscape and loch are amazing so it's kind of evened out
Original post by No Man
Well, what if this became the new Oxbridge?

Lool I see that building everytime I go to Bangkok and it truly is dire.
Original post by No Man
Well, what if this became the new Oxbridge?

Hehehehe I miss that building! I think it's very creative cos Thailand is famous for elephants! XDDD That is not part of any uni anyway - it is just a business building.

You make me want to visit Thailand - but I got no money :frown: My mum wont pay for ticket.
Original post by RamocitoMorales

University of Kent

University of East Anglia

I'm not a fan of concrete but when I visited UEA, it had a certain charm. Plus Norwich is lovely and the actual university grounds are green and lovely and there's a lake. And I love those weird zig-zaggy buildings with a funny name I can't type or remember.
I haven't seen Kent yet. I'm hoping you just picked a really grim building...

I hope I get into RHUL... at least it's pretty if nothing else... :redface: :rolleyes:
Reply 187

:rolleyes:

Go on then, show us how pretty your university is you hypocrite...

I'm pretty sure one of those buildings isn't on the campus. And anyway, there is like one really pretty quad and the rest is ugly. Probably like most unis.
Reply 188
i'd have to say Aston
Original post by Picnic1
Seen Jonathan Meades's programme on Aberdeen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNbc7NeW3Wg

You can tell that guy went to art school.
Original post by EdwardCurrent
Nottingham.

Who knows what they were thinking. Looks like something out of the ****ing Tellytubbies.

Lol, as much as I love UoN, I have to agree on that.
I refer to it as a red lego like building.
But it has waterfall...so I don't really mind :tongue:
Original post by Zandra25
I'm pretty sure one of those buildings isn't on the campus.

Why bother making comments on something you know nothing about? Aberdeen isn't a 'campus' university, it's a 'city' university. It's the unification of two seperate universities, Marischal College and King's College, which merged to form the current University of Aberdeen.

King's College is based in Old Aberdeen, and much that's where most of the current university is based. Marischal College is based in New Aberdeen, and was the former medical school, though the medicine students now do most of their work at Forester Hill.

One way Aberdeen does resemble a 'campus' university though is that most of it is quite close together and tight knit.

Zandra25
And anyway, there is like one really pretty quad and the rest is ugly. Probably like most unis.

I think the 'quad' you're talking about would be the King's quad, which is indeed very pretty. But outside of that, there's New King's, Elphinstone Hall, the Old Town House, the Old Brewery. the Powis Gate towers, etc.

Sure, we have our share of ugly buildings as well, such as the Macrobert building and Taylor building. Even Cambridge and Oxford have ugly buildings. But overall, Aberdeen's got lots of very old and pretty buildings and most of it is based in the historic little 'town' of Old Aberdeen with its cobbled pavements and old houses.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ilickbatteries

If Oxford looked like UEA would people still class it as one of the best universities in the country/world/universe?

Ah the dreaming spires of Oxford!

The charm of the Denys Wilkinson Building

The delights of the Hilda Besse Building at St Antonys

Whilst at Cambridge one can dream of the the backs whilst looking at the Austin Building

Or the Computing Laboratory Tower

Reply 194
Why bother making comments on something you know nothing about? Aberdeen isn't a 'campus' university, it's a 'city' university. It's the unification of two seperate universities, Marischal College and King's College, which merged to form the current University of Aberdeen.

King's College is based in Old Aberdeen, and much that's where most of the current university is based. Marischal College is based in New Aberdeen, and was the former medical school, though the medicine students now do most of their work at Forester Hill.

One way Aberdeen does resemble a 'campus' university though is that most of it is quite close together and tight knit.

I think the 'quad' you're talking about would be the King's quad, which is indeed very pretty. But outside of that, there's New King's, Elphinstone Hall, the Old Town House, the Old Brewery. the Powis Gate towers, etc.

Sure, we have our share of ugly buildings as well, such as the Macrobert building and Taylor building. Even Cambridge and Oxford have ugly buildings. But overall, Aberdeen's got lots of very old and pretty buildings and most of it is based in the historic little 'town' of Old Aberdeen with its cobbled pavements and old houses.

I live just outside aberdeen, was just stating my opinion of what I had seen of the uni.
Reply 195
Original post by Deutsch_Beth
Most of Southampton uni is really nice, apart from a couple of buildings - this building, which I think is the maths building, being the worst.

it's not bad from the inside, though; all bright and yellow! :p:
Reply 196
Original post by nulli tertius
Whilst at Cambridge one can dream of the the backs whilst looking at the Austin Building

Or the Computing Laboratory Tower

They look relatively good to me. The first, for instance, is a particular type of understated 1930s type modernism. The brickwork looks typically Cambridge. The second (the tower) looks like classic Mies van der Rohe modernism.

I find the jarring contrasts of the older Keble College Oxford to be more offensive. Looks like a municipal mosque:
http://www.reggie.net/photos/england/oxfordshire/oxford/keble_college/5646404_liddon_quad_and_chapel-600.jpg
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Picnic1
They look relatively good to me. The first, for instance, is a particular type of understated 1930s type modernism. The brickwork looks typically Cambridge. The second (the tower) looks like classic Mies van der Rohe modernism.

This is exactly contemporary to the first of the Cambridge buildings and is of far better quality.

If you know Cambridge, the New Museums Site, from which both my original illustrations came is a terrible agglomeration of buildings from the first half of the 20th century thrown together without any regard for the setting of the buildings. One can take or leave Van der Rohe, and I would rather leave him, but he was keen on the setting of his buildings and would never have done what Cambridge has done with the buildings I originally showed.
UEA. Or any university built c.1960.
Reply 199
Original post by nulli tertius
This is exactly contemporary to the first of the Cambridge buildings and is of far better quality.

If you know Cambridge, the New Museums Site, from which both my original illustrations came is a terrible agglomeration of buildings from the first half of the 20th century thrown together without any regard for the setting of the buildings. One can take or leave Van der Rohe, and I would rather leave him, but he was keen on the setting of his buildings and would never have done what Cambridge has done with the buildings I originally showed.

I've only visited Cambridge once and didn't see the science site. I'm just going off your photos. The photo you've posted above is a 1950s building I would guess, looking like the more small scale, more homely (yet also sometimes classically inspired) modernism typical of its era. Sadly, such subtlety evaded many 60s architects who were attempting similarly scaled architecture and who dispensed with brick.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending