The Student Room Group

What is the worst looking uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Drexel University in the United States... looks like a power plant.
Original post by Plonk
Please tell me that building is hidden away somewhere difficult to see? :tongue:

No, not all, it's quite a central building. The majority of my lectures this year have been in that building, it is incredibly hard to work out where all the lecture theatres are too wheb you first get there because it's all uneven and the numbering is all a bit of a mess. Frustrating place!
Original post by Wozzie

I don't even know where the **** those last two pictures come from, it could be an admin building or an off site car park for all I know and if you're looking for pictures of TVU the last two won't be the first ones you come across.

I know there's several campuses, some of which are very decent, it's just I live near Slough and used to go there quite a bit, so I saw that building every single day. And even if you take away the overcast, it's not that nice..
What a beauty:
Reply 464
Original post by James4d
I'm at Sussex and our buildings are pretty horrible (again, 60's monstrosities). The fact we're in the countryside makes up for it though :smile:

That building (i think it's an arts building) with the big H in front of it cracks me up every time. And East Slope is hilarious. Probably why I've put it as my first choice accomodation for september... Although, I do like that funny cone shaped building. :biggrin:
You know, I'm actually really shocked at how many Universities, including some quite prestigious ones, are ugly as sin, but as some people have said, it's purely because of the era the buildings were built in. Oxford's architecture was built around the 12th century, and that age of architecture has always been beautiful.

I go to Birmingham City University, and I hate how it looks, it's a complete concrete jungle, but aside from being superficial, I love my course, and I think that's the thing that matters the most. Plus seeing Unis like Warwick that look like **** makes me feel slightly better :biggrin:

It's still weird though, I think if a University looks like a University it would make many people feel a lot better and more enthusiastic because you know, it's a special time in your life and you want to feel like you're in a special and beautiful place, not a concentration camp. I do think how a University looks may affect whether a person wants to go there or not.
I went to the University of Bath on an open day and thought it looked really grotty.
Dundee has it's fair share of ugly buildings between the Tower Building (where I get to spend most of my time):

The Medical Sciences Institute:

Duncan of Jordanstone is pretty uninspiring too:

These are the exception though, many of the buildings lovely and modern (Dalhousie building and the Library probably are the most notable), but older buildings like the Old Medical School and the Economic Studies/Accounting and Finance buildings on Perth Road are nice too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending