The Student Room Group

What is the worst looking uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
University of Cumbria. The tower hamlets campus. I went for an interview there once and IIRC they told me the total number of students whom attend the campus is around 600! :eek:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=E3+4TA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=London+E3+4TA&gl=uk&ei=L1_oTMqqC4uChQfTkrjyDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAA

Turn left and its the building ahead. Plus it's situated in the back streets of some council estate.
Reply 81
UEL and Manchester Met are ugly.
Original post by ilickbatteries
They wouldn't use them as the entire basis for the how much your degree is really worth, but I'm sure they have a clear indication of where universities are in the tables. After all, there is no parity of esteem between institutions at degree level.

Since it's often argued on there that a degree in X subject is easier at a uni ranked 70th than a university ranked 20th, it appears they would at least pay some attention to them.

You don't even go to university yet, and none of your choices are as prestigious as Aberdeen, with the possibly exception of York. I've met students in Aberdeen who've rejected unconditionals from Edinburgh and Glasgow to be here.

You have to bare in mind that Aberdeen's entry requirements are low because their degrees are four years long as opposed to three, and its not as easy to attract students when even Edinburgh is two and a half hours away by train. If you wish to enter into the second year directly, you'll need A grades.

While I've also met some very high achievers here, I've also heard of a lot of people who've been 'kicked out' due to their failure to meet academic requirements. It's quite surprisingly common in fact. These are often people who've ended up at Aberdeen with their mediocre grades and have failed to deal with the academic rigour which all Scottish Ancients maintain.

Employers don't even consider newspaper league tables. They'll see that I've been taught by lecturers who are at the top of their field in pure mathematics, as the latest Research Assessment Exercise has shown, and if you really insist with league tables, taken modules in the highest ranked history department in Scotland.

I also find your use of language hilarious. You talk as if you're an informed person (i.e. someone who's been through the process of attaining a graduate job).

ilickbatteries
Aberdeen doesn't have a fantastic reputation, nor is it considered really prestigious, despite it's considerable age. 5th oldest in the UK is it? Looks like a lovely place, mind.

Aberdeen is in fact, a highly prestigious institution, particularly in the field of philosophy. Thomas Reid, the founder of the Scottish School of Sense (and was a contemprorary of David Hume) being the most notable. Let's not also forget that it's produced 5 Nobel Prize winners, and like you say is an incredibly old institution which has built a great reputation for itself.

I actually hate having to argue with people like you. People who've just started learning about the 'field' of universities, who, once they actually enter university, will soon be enlightened with the truth. Until then, it looks like I'll have to put up with you and your evanglistic ways in preaching the newspaper league tables.

I've also noticed that you're applying to study Sociology. So why are you arguing with me about prestige and prospects, when even a mathematics degree from Portsmouth will be more valuable than any degree you're set to attain. :facepalm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
Lancaster has it's grim parts and it's pretty parts. The centre of campus is mostly grim though:

Bowland (Suicide) Tower:

Not entirely sure what this builind is for, but it's the big thing people first see from the M6:

Green....and orange *bleh*
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Curly A
University of Cumbria. The tower hamlets campus. I went for an interview there once and IIRC they told me the total number of students whom attend the campus is around 600! :eek:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=E3+4TA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=London+E3+4TA&gl=uk&ei=L1_oTMqqC4uChQfTkrjyDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAA

Turn left and its the building ahead. Plus it's situated in the back streets of some council estate.

The actual building is pretty nice though. Shame about the surroundings, though its not that bad.
Original post by Chucklefiend

Original post by Chucklefiend
Durham and RHUL.

why? Don't they look like castles?
The inside of UEL is disgusting. It reminded me of a cross between an airport lounge and a hospital.
I hate it! GRRR

EDIT: It's Loughborough University
Original post by RamocitoMorales
You don't even go to university yet, and none of your choices are as prestigious as Aberdeen, with the possibly exception of York. I've met students in Aberdeen who've rejected unconditionals from Edinburgh and Glasgow to be here.

You have to bare in mind that Aberdeen's entry requirements are low because their degrees are four years long as opposed to three, and its not as easy to attract students when even Edinburgh is two and a half hours away by train. If you wish to enter into the second year directly, you'll need A grades.

While I've also met some very high achievers here, I've also heard of a lot of people who've been 'kicked out' due to their failure to meet academic requirements. It's quite surprisingly common in fact. These are often people who've ended up at Aberdeen with their mediocre grades and have failed to deal with the academic rigour which all Scottish Ancients maintain.

Employers don't even consider newspaper league tables. They'll see that I've been taught by lecturers who are at the top of their field in pure mathematics, as the latest Research Assessment Exercise has shown, and if you really insist with league tables, taken modules in the highest ranked history department in Scotland.

I also find your use of language hilarious. You talk as if you're an informed person (i.e. someone who's been through the process of attaining a graduate job).

Aberdeen is in fact, a highly prestigious institution, particularly in the field of philosophy. Thomas Reid, the founder of the Scottish School of Sense (and was a contemprorary of David Hume) being the most notable. Let's not also forget that it's produced 5 Nobel Prize winners, and like you say is an incredibly old institution which has built a great reputation for itself.

I actually hate having to argue with people like you. People who've just started learning about the 'field' of universities, who, once they actually enter university, will soon be enlightened with the truth. Until then, it looks like I'll have to put up with you and your evanglistic ways in preaching the newspaper league tables.

I've also noticed that you're applying to study Sociology. So why are you arguing with me about prestige and prospects, when even a mathematics degree from Portsmouth will be more valuable than any degree you're set to attain. :facepalm:

Who in their right mind would turn down Edinburgh or Glasgow to go to Aberdeen? It really isn't that prestigious. It's old and has some fancy buildings, that's it. It'll never be in the same league as Durham, St. Andrews or Oxbridge.

So basically what you've said is - you've met some high achievers, those you'll meet at every university. You've met some people who've been kicked out for not achieving, those you'll meet at every university.

Employers do use league tables. Look if they didn't, there would be little point in them. Employers need to know where a university stands in the grand scheme of things.

You preach to me about not knowing anything about universities, when St. Andrews has the best history department in Scotland. In fact Aberdeen's history department is 25th in the UK. As for philosophy, Aberdeen is 29th, behind Stirling, Dundee and St. Andrews.

Your post is laced with hypocrisy. You criticise me for using rankings and then you claim that your history department is the best in Scotland. You criticise me for not knowing anything about universities, yet you can't get basic facts right.

As for sociology, it's perfectly tailored to me. I'm damn good at it. I can't stand maths. Hate the subject, it's the blandest, most boring subject I've ever taken. Worse than DT, of all things. I honestly couldn't care less what you think of it. You'll only backtrack anyways. One week Aberdeen is the worst place in the world, the next "ITS THAR BEST UNIVARSITY IN SCOTCHLAND!!11!1!1"
Swansea has it's ups and downs

Reply 90
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Any of the concrete jungle types. Probably UEA, Essex or York.

How the hell is York bad? Have you not seen the new Goodricke?
Cardiff, mostly the inside. Reminded me of my old and destroyed secondary school. They were also building stuff during the open day so there was a lot of noise.
Reply 92
Original post by ilickbatteries
I was at Lancs for the visit day on Wednesday.

You have a Greggs, a florist and a travel agents on campus. I respect, love and admire that. A f**king Greggs man :biggrin:

The place doesn't look all that great, but hey who cares? It's not about how it looks its about who you spend three/four/five years of your life with and the standard of teaching.

That Greggs is brilliant. The queue is always well outside the shop around lunchtime, but well worth the wait!
And to top it off, it's very close to the Physics Building and the Faraday Building where I have most of my contact time, and I normally finish around lunchtime so I can get my sneaky steak bake when I finish.
I tend to go to Diggles if I don't fancy the queue though. Their stake bakes aren't as nice but you get served quicker.

But yeah - it's not the outside of the building that's important, it's the inside that matters (oh, and a good number of windows on which to write stuff on with whiteboard markers)
UEA isn't the prettiest but the friendly people and green ness around it more than made up for that. York looks far uglier.
Reply 94
Oxford.
Reply 95
University of Tirana in Albania
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 96
I suggest giving this title to London Met..
Whilst we have Hogwarts...

But equally has Rathbone, Garth, Wheldon, Lloyd, Deinol and various other 60s concrete monstrosities. Brigantia's pretty smart though! Our accommodation is pretty colours too :h:
Original post by ash-corbett-collins
The inside of UEL is disgusting. It reminded me of a cross between an airport lounge and a hospital.

Actually, yeah I forgot about UEL. It's all horrible. Cyprus DLR station always smells of urine.

Original post by jenny.chu
I suggest giving this title to London Met..

This should be obvious.
Original post by Manitude
That Greggs is brilliant. The queue is always well outside the shop around lunchtime, but well worth the wait!
And to top it off, it's very close to the Physics Building and the Faraday Building where I have most of my contact time, and I normally finish around lunchtime so I can get my sneaky steak bake when I finish.
I tend to go to Diggles if I don't fancy the queue though. Their stake bakes aren't as nice but you get served quicker.

But yeah - it's not the outside of the building that's important, it's the inside that matters (oh, and a good number of windows on which to write stuff on with whiteboard markers)

Aye I tried to nip into Greggs before the tour but the queue was too big. We had our talk in the Faraday building, pretty swish inside. The airlock doors in the learning zone :biggrin: how cool are they

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending