The Student Room Group

Official: University of Leeds A100 2024 Entry

Welcome to Leeds A100 2024 entry discussion thread :biggrin:

for entry requirements click: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb

for enquiries about Access to Leeds (A2L) click: https://www.leeds.ac.uk/access-to-leeds

GENERAL TSR RULES:

(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by B7861
big change to university of Leeds medicine entry requirements, they now require applicants to undertake the UCAT

however we dont know if they ill operate a cutoff or assign a banding system as they did for the BMAT

Do you already have an offer ?
Original post by GGIN
Do you already have an offer ?

No
Reply 4
I heard Leeds is one of UNIV that we cannot be sure how they score applicant, As they say they score using combination of GCSE and A level grades long with UCAT . Aslo they don't publish weighting and scoring process . So it depends how much the others score.
Original post by Ibmoahsa
I heard Leeds is one of UNIV that we cannot be sure how they score applicant, As they say they score using combination of GCSE and A level grades long with UCAT . Aslo they don't publish weighting and scoring process . So it depends how much the others score.

It’s just my GCSEs I’m worried about, I’ve got 9877777 but don’t know if they’re good enough
Reply 6
There is universities that doesn't look at GCSE after reaching the requirement , look at those .

Also wait until you sit UCAT, as you can deiced after what to do. good luck
Original post by B7861
It’s just my GCSEs I’m worried about, I’ve got 9877777 but don’t know if they’re good enough

Be so for real right now😭 you got all A’s/A*s you know you did well. Don’t be one of those students🤨
Besides a uni would never consider your GCSE’s alone. There’s more to uni admissions than GCSE’s
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Hellokitty123abc
Be so for real right now😭 you got all A’s/A*s you know you did well. Don’t be one of those students🤨
Besides a uni would never consider your GCSE’s alone. There’s more to uni admissions than GCSE’s

Leeds have historically scored GCSEs as a large part of their shortlisting, needing 8 x 8/9s to stand a realistic chance of shortlisting, unless a top 20% BMAT.
Lots of med schools look at GCSEs as part of deciding who to interview and many need 8s or 9s across the board.
As said, some don't, and OP's stats would be fine for them, but historically, Leeds would not be one of them. OP is quite right that they are likely to need Leeds to move to a UCAT cut off or their GCSEs will probably not be enough
Original post by GANFYD
Leeds have historically scored GCSEs as a large part of their shortlisting, needing 8 x 8/9s to stand a realistic chance of shortlisting, unless a top 20% BMAT.
Lots of med schools look at GCSEs as part of deciding who to interview and many need 8s or 9s across the board.
As said, some don't, and OP's stats would be fine for them, but historically, Leeds would not be one of them. OP is quite right that they are likely to need Leeds to move to a UCAT cut off or their GCSEs will probably not be enough

Well I’m gonna apply to Leeds anyway and see what happens as I’m also a2l (not sure if it makes much of a difference). I doubt though Leeds will change their whole selection process? Wouldn’t they keep it the same but obviously just substitute the BMAT for the UCAT
Original post by Ibmoahsa
There is universities that doesn't look at GCSE after reaching the requirement , look at those .

Also wait until you sit UCAT, as you can deiced after what to do. good luck

Yea but I really want to get into Leeds, it’s close to home and also a great city
Reply 11
Original post by B7861
Well I’m gonna apply to Leeds anyway and see what happens as I’m also a2l (not sure if it makes much of a difference). I doubt though Leeds will change their whole selection process? Wouldn’t they keep it the same but obviously just substitute the BMAT for the UCAT

Contact them and ask - they can only say they are not going to tell you!
Original post by B7861

Even if they did just substitute in some way then they used an integrated model balancing BMAT score and GCSEs based on 8. As referred to here.

Even if they integrated UCAT they may still only do normal dist to determine who to invite. A2l may help if factored in.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_2020_a100?utm_campaign=alaveteli-experiments-87&utm_content=sidebar_similar_requests&utm_medium=link&utm_source=whatdotheyknow

It might be worth searching on, or asking them, about contextual and a2l and how they use it.

It might unfortunately be that you want to apply to Leeds, but a more strategic application may be elsewhere. It will depend on UCAT. Ask in the which med school Megathread when you are ready.

A couple already have, so can always follow along until you get it and see what the steer is for them.

Good luck.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 13
Hi guys

I’m in my final year of my biological sciences study and I am going to be applying at leeds for medicine as an undergrad. Does anyone know how they might score it or how I can find out? I don’t want to waste it on somewhere I won’t get in to
Original post by Safee60
Hi guys

I’m in my final year of my biological sciences study and I am going to be applying at leeds for medicine as an undergrad. Does anyone know how they might score it or how I can find out? I don’t want to waste it on somewhere I won’t get in to

This is Leeds first year using UCAT so we don’t really know. But historically Leeds use a point system where they score GCSEs and BMAT and maybe a levels. However usually if you don’t have all 9s and 8s you won’t get in unless you have a very high UCAT
Original post by B7861
This is Leeds first year using UCAT so we don’t really know. But historically Leeds use a point system where they score GCSEs and BMAT and maybe a levels. However usually if you don’t have all 9s and 8s you won’t get in unless you have a very high UCAT

I have a ucat of 2790 b1, 256 ucas tariff points and gcses with 4 9s, 4 8s and 2 7s. I’m also WP… do you think i have a good chance?
Original post by yerenburg10
I have a ucat of 2790 b1, 256 ucas tariff points and gcses with 4 9s, 4 8s and 2 7s. I’m also WP… do you think i have a good chance?

yes, go for it!
Original post by MedMama
yes, go for it!

thanks!!!
Original post by Emily_210567
My UCAT is 2810 B1 and GCSE's are 98888776 L2M, WP and qualify for A2L which means grade requirement will be ABB if I complete the module after securing an offer. As of now i have ABB but a remark may make it AAB is this a decent chance? I barely have any other places I could realistically apply to as I'm going to resit maths anyway.

Hi Emily, much I would love to say a quick easy ‘yes, do apply’, truth is I’m not sure.
- when GCSEs aren’t almost all A* equivalent ( and yours are very good, but for Leeds there is a serious weighting on these grades as you know) the answer is I don’t know enough yet about A2L ( there is a frequent poster on this and other threads - username with the prefix B then numbers -who might know something about A2L)
really hope you get good advice 🍀
Original post by MedMama
Hi Emily, much I would love to say a quick easy ‘yes, do apply’, truth is I’m not sure.
- when GCSEs aren’t almost all A* equivalent ( and yours are very good, but for Leeds there is a serious weighting on these grades as you know) the answer is I don’t know enough yet about A2L ( there is a frequent poster on this and other threads - username with the prefix B then numbers -who might know something about A2L)
really hope you get good advice 🍀

Okay, thank you. I really appreciate it. Honestly I don't have much choice since my A levels didn't go to plan. I was also thinking of applying to others that take resits. Is 125/152 enough for Lincoln but too low for Nottingham? I'm going to apply to Leeds (if there isn't a better chance elsewhere), Lincoln, Leicester (foundation) and for my fourth I was looking at Hull York, Edge Hill or Nottingham since I'm gonna resit maths if my remark becomes AAB hopefully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending