The Student Room Group

A-levels for Dentistry

Hi everyone!
I'm currently going through sixth form applications , and in the future I really want to pursue Dentistry.
I have the option to do 4 full A-levels or stick to 3.
I'm thinking of doing Chemistry , Biology and Religious studies but a bit stuck on what to do for my 4th as I'm really avoiding Maths at a-level.
Would Geography be an advisable subject to take? What is it like?
Does anyone have any other recommendations? And finally , would it affect my chances to getting into dental schools if I only took 3 A-levels rather than 4?

Scroll to see replies

Physics/Math if u want cambridge. otherwise, any.
Original post by High Stakes

Cambridge doesn't do Dentistry
Reply 3

I thought they didn't offer Dentistry?
Original post by AmberLoes
Hi everyone!
I'm currently going through sixth form applications , and in the future I really want to pursue Dentistry.
I'm thinking of doing Chemistry , Biology and Religious studies but a bit stuck on what to do for my 4th as I'm really avoiding Maths at a-level.
Does anyone have any other recommendations? And finally , would it affect my chances to getting into dental schools if I only took 3 A-levels rather than 4?

I can’t tell you how geography is im afraid. I did chemistry, biology, maths and ICT and I dropped maths at A2. It will not affect your chances by doing 3 Most unis ask for AAA apart from Kings who want A*AA. Focus on 3 good Alevels rather than doing 4 because alevel is hard enough without making it more difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by TrayTrayDinh
I can’t tell you how geography is im afraid. I did chemistry, biology, maths and ICT and I dropped maths at A2. It will not affect your chances by doing 3 Most unis ask for AAA apart from Kings who want A*AA. Focus on 3 good Alevels rather than doing 4 because alevel is hard enough without making it more difficult.

Ah thank you!
I thought they didn't offer Dentistry?

Original post by TrayTrayDinh
Cambridge doesn't do Dentistry

Shiet. Sorry. My brain went into auto-pilot and I was thinking of Medicine. My bad lmfao.
Hi everyone!

Chemistry and biology are the only two that you must take in order to be eligible for all UK dental schools. The rest are up to you (as long as they're not General Studies or Critical Thinking). Religious studies and geography are fine, so long as you're confident that you can do well in them. You should ideally be thinking about third and fourth subjects in terms of whether you enjoy them enough and whether you can get As/A*s in them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Hydeman
Chemistry and biology are the only two that you must take in order to be eligible for all UK dental schools. The rest are up to you (as long as they're not General Studies or Critical Thinking). Religious studies and geography as fine, so long as you're confident that you can do well in them. You should ideally be thinking about third and fourth subjects in terms of whether you enjoy them enough and whether you can get As/A*s in them.

thank you!
Reply 9
Im doing biology chemistry maths and psychology then i will drop maths after the first year
would biology, chemistry, maths and further maths be fine for dentistry? they would be 4 full a levels
Reply 11
Original post by surina16
would biology, chemistry, maths and further maths be fine for dentistry? they would be 4 full a levels

I'm trying to avoid maths as much as possible , it's the only subject I really hate doing at gcse and I dread the lessons so I think it would be a bad idea doing it at a-level

You should reconsider taking four full A Levels, given the risk of spreading yourself too thinly and achieving less than AAA. As far as dentistry and other similarly competitive courses go, universities will always prefer AAA over A*A*BB.

Whether they would be okay or not depends on the university that you apply to, because not all universities consider further maths as a separate A Level to maths, and those that do only usually consider it up to AS Level, so you don't get any benefit on that front from taking four full A Levels.
Original post by Hydeman
You should reconsider taking four full A Levels, given the risk of spreading yourself too thinly and achieving less than AAA. As far as dentistry and other similarly competitive courses go, universities will always prefer AAA over A*A*BB.

Whether they would be okay or not depends on the university that you apply to, because not all universities consider further maths as a separate A Level to maths, and those that do only usually consider it up to AS Level, so you don't get any benefit on that front from taking four full A Levels.

Ah okay, thank you :smile:
The only reason I'm really considering further maths is because I know that courses like medicine and dentistry are really competitive and am worried that 3 a levels might look like too little in comparison to everybody else (who all seem to be taking 4) :s-smilie:
Shiet. Sorry. My brain went into auto-pilot and I was thinking of Medicine. My bad lmfao.

how embarrassing
Original post by Mayhem™
how embarrassing

Love you <3
Ah okay, thank you :smile:
The only reason I'm really considering further maths is because I know that courses like medicine and dentistry are really competitive and am worried that 3 a levels might look like too little in comparison to everybody else (who all seem to be taking 4) :s-smilie:

Honestly, don't worry about it. They only want three good A Levels, and would look much more favourably upon something like A*A*A over A*A*BB. :smile:

The majority of people will only be taking three A Levels and universities don't have any sort of 'secret' preference for more A Levels, despite what some people would have you believe. If it says they want three A Levels and an AS, then that's exactly what they want. There are other parts to your application that will determine how competitive it is, such as your UKCAT/BMAT score, your personal statement, your reference, and your interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Honestly, don't worry about it. They only want three good A Levels, and would look much more favourably upon AAA/A*AA/A*A*A/A*A*A* over A*A*BB. :smile:

The majority of people will only be taking three A Levels and universities don't have any sort of 'secret' preference for more A Levels, despite what some people would have you believe. If it says they want three A Levels and an AS, then that's exactly what they want. There are other parts to your application that will determine how competitive it is, such as your UKCAT/BMAT score, your personal statement, your reference, and your interview.

Thank you so much! :smile: I won't be doing an extra AS due to the reforms, but my school is making the EPQ compulsory, so I guess I'll just show my 'skills' there :biggrin:
Hi there,
I'm new on TSR so I dont even know where this message is going so sorry if its irrelevant to you.
I have just started my AS levels and I'm studying Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, English Lang/Lit. I really want to go onto university to study Dentistry, it has really fasciniated me while gaining work experience at a dental practice.
The only thing thats holding me back from having a definite mindset for Dentistry is basically my GCSE grades. I am aware of how competitive Dentistry and Medicine are which is what scares me because if I go for either and get let down just because of my GCSE's then all the UKCAT and BMAT preperation will be useless, as well as the money my dad is spending on my private tutors.
Has anyone with similar GCSE's got an offer for dentistry or medicine?
Also, please let me know what you think about having a mindset for dentistry or not, knowing my GCSE grades!
My GCSE's- 4A's 5B's 1C.....chem- A bio- A phys- B eng lang- B eng lit- A maths- B french- C business- B media- B re- A
Thanks
Original post by arhamzubair98
Hi there,
I'm new on TSR so I dont even know where this message is going so sorry if its irrelevant to you.
I have just started my AS levels and I'm studying Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, English Lang/Lit. I really want to go onto university to study Dentistry, it has really fasciniated me while gaining work experience at a dental practice.
The only thing thats holding me back from having a definite mindset for Dentistry is basically my GCSE grades. I am aware of how competitive Dentistry and Medicine are which is what scares me because if I go for either and get let down just because of my GCSE's then all the UKCAT and BMAT preperation will be useless, as well as the money my dad is spending on my private tutors.
Has anyone with similar GCSE's got an offer for dentistry or medicine?
Also, please let me know what you think about having a mindset for dentistry or not, knowing my GCSE grades!
My GCSE's- 4A's 5B's 1C.....chem- A bio- A phys- B eng lang- B eng lit- A maths- B french- C business- B media- B re- A
Thanks

I couldn't tell you whether anybody with similar GCSE grades has got in but it's basically a case of doing as well as possible on your other exams (e.g. AS Levels, UKCAT/BMAT) and write a strong personal statement so that you can apply to the universities that either take a holistic approach or care significantly more about those exams. It may also be an idea to email various dental schools and see what they think.

Have a read of the the section here (although take it with a pinch of salt as the dentistry wiki is really not in great shape), and look at the UKCAT page, in particular, to see which dental schools allow a high UKCAT score to compensate for lower GCSE grades. I wouldn't say that it's impossible for you to get in, but I think you will need to smash your UKCAT and A Levels (and your personal statement) to make up for it. I would also suggest that you don't be afraid of taking a gap year, if necessary. The success rate for second-time applicants is usually higher, after all.

Quick Reply

Latest