The Student Room Group

Ask me any questions regarding Dentistry applications and life at Dental school!

Hey Guys,

This is an open forum for you to ask any questions you have regarding Dental School. Though I will be able to answer many of your questions directly on here, myself and a fellow dental student will be compiling your questions into a youtube video.

When applying, I found lots of online videos and support geared up to help medicine applications, but little to help prospective dental students! As current dental students who received offers from Barts and the London, Kings College London, Liverpool and Glasgow Dental schools, we are in a prime position to give you any advice and support we can!

So feel free to ask any questions you may have :smile: x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vagabond queen
Hey Guys,

This is an open forum for you to ask any questions you have regarding Dental School. Though I will be able to answer many of your questions directly on here, myself and a fellow dental student will be compiling your questions into a youtube video.

When applying, I found lots of online videos and support geared up to help medicine applications, but little to help prospective dental students! As current dental students who received offers from Barts and the London, Kings College London, Liverpool and Glasgow Dental schools, we are in a prime position to give you any advice and support we can!

Did you have any experience before applying and if so, how did you go about getting it?
Reply 2
Can you get into dentistry if you have done a dental nursing course but also have A levels.(The A levels achieved are below what is required). Also, can you get in if you do a dental course in college.
Was there anything you didn't expect as a dental student and how did you overcome these challenges? Also how intense was the five year course?
Reply 4
Are there any disadvantages to studying dentistry abroad rather than in the UK?
I'm asking because I don't think I'll get the required A-Level grades for dental school here but I may be able to study it abroad.
Hey Guys,

did you have a long term sport that you took part in that you then referenced in your application? what kinds of extra ciricuular stuff did you talk about that helped your application? when did you start preparing for your ukcat?
Original post by AmberLoes
did you have a long term sport that you took part in that you then referenced in your application? what kinds of extra ciricuular stuff did you talk about that helped your application? when did you start preparing for your ukcat?

In my PS i wrote about Mixed Martial Arts, Cake decorating and a project that I had been running on the side of sixth form.

Regarding UKCAT, about a month before or so. Though I know people who prepped literally a few weeks before, I would recommend as much time as possible.

Regards.
Do you have any tips for the interview and what were your experiences ?
Original post by Goldmireglocking
Do you have any tips for the interview and what were your experiences ?

Hi yes, I have actually made a PDF with info for applicants, feel free to send me your email or type it here:

https://dentalinterviewprep.com/dental-school-prep-guide/
Hey Guys,

I just received my results and they're not great and my parents aren't happy.. I got 4As and 5Bs The As are in: Art, Chemistry, French and RS I wanted to do Dentistry... Can I still do it with these grades? Should I resit? Do dentistry courses allow GCSE resits?
Reply 10
I got these grades:

Maths: 5 (don't know if I should re-take or not)
English Language:7
English Literature:6
RS: A
Geography: C
History: B
Spanish: D
Additional Science: B
Core Science: B
Business: C

If I am able to get A's at A level with a good ukcat score and work experience, can I still get into dental school(especially KCL AND QMUL)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AC_10
I got these grades:

Maths: 5 (don't know if I should re-take or not)
English Language:7
English Literature:6
RS: A
Geography: C
History: B
Spanish: D
Additional Science: B
Core Science: B
Business: C

If I am able to get A's at A level with a good ukcat score and work experience, can I still get into dental school(especially KCL AND QMUL)

Sorry to break it to you but i doubt they'd even consider you for 2019 entry. The only chance i'd say is a you getting exceptional A-Level grades then take a gap year then apply for 2020 entry. That way they won't look at your GCSE's as much! Don't think your GCSE's are bad, they're just not on the competitive level that most applicants are applying with.
Reply 12
Hi I got my core science remarked and it went up to an A and I am retaking maths in November and am taking bio, chem and psychology at A level. so hopefully this all helps.
Best thing now is to work really hard on your A Levels and to get some work experience.
What A-levels did you do? Would doing Biology, Chemistry and a soft subject not make my application competitive enough?
Reply 15
what soft subject are you thinking of
Reply 16
How many applicants to queen Mary dentistry belfast?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AC_10
what soft subject are you thinking of

I'm thinking of swapping A-level German with Graphics. I have to decide by the 6th October.
Original post by DentalPrepTSR
Hi yes, I have actually made a PDF with info for applicants, feel free to send me your email or type it here:

https://dentalinterviewprep.com/dental-school-prep-guide/

Hi,
My email is [email protected]
Hey Guys,

do i need to take triple science to become a dentist or can i pick combined science

Quick Reply

Latest