The Student Room Group

Manchester Dentistry 2024 Entry

Welcome to the Manchester Dentistry 2024 Entry discussion thread.

Useful links:

The “Which dental school should I apply to?” Thread: The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread - The Student Room

TSR Dentistry Wiki: Dentistry - The Student Room

Dentistry Undergraduate Entry Requirements: Dentistry Entry Requirements | The Student Room

Dentistry Graduate Entry Requirements: Graduate entry requirements for dentistry | The Student Room

Pre-dentistry/ Gateway Entry Requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dental-courses

General TSR Rules:

Do not ask for or post group chat links.

Do not ask for or post interview questions.

Do not offer to buy or sell items, including the promotion of dentistry courses.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! What kind of volunteering/ work experience are people doing for dentistry? Thanks:smile:
Reply 2
Hearf that if you get band 3 or 4 this year you won't be considered at all
Reply 3
Manchester are not looking at predicted grades this year at all
Reply 4
They also mentioned that you should get at least 2700 for the UCAT
Reply 5
Original post by rohans0078
where r they mentioning this

I went to the talk yesterday, and that's what they said
(edited 10 months ago)
I went to Manchester open day yesterday and am thinking of not applying there. The open day was so unorganised, we spent half an hour trying to find a map only to be told to download an app (not mentioned before). There was no place to scan our tickets (other unis do this at least) and med and dent were put together in this tiny room where there were so many people, whilst other departments had no one. Also they had these informal talks by profs that weren't communicated until at the open day and so we missed a bunch (because we had were so lost without the map). I spoke to the students and they said that UoM is terrible at organisation. In general just very disastrous.

But I really like the EBL framework and that they place a lot of emphasis on independent learning and research - what should I do?
Reply 7
Original post by toothysmile
I went to Manchester open day yesterday and am thinking of not applying there. The open day was so unorganised, we spent half an hour trying to find a map only to be told to download an app (not mentioned before). There was no place to scan our tickets (other unis do this at least) and med and dent were put together in this tiny room where there were so many people, whilst other departments had no one. Also they had these informal talks by profs that weren't communicated until at the open day and so we missed a bunch (because we had were so lost without the map). I spoke to the students and they said that UoM is terrible at organisation. In general just very disastrous.

But I really like the EBL framework and that they place a lot of emphasis on independent learning and research - what should I do?

U were emailed about the app, and all you had to do was check in from an email they sent by pressing one button…
Original post by hadi_
U were emailed about the app, and all you had to do was check in from an email they sent by pressing one button…

Fair enough, I may have made a mistake there but doesn't detract from the rest of the bad experience
Reply 9
what do they actually look for? what is given priority?
Reply 10
Original post by huzzah2
what do they actually look for? what is given priority?

For an invite to interview:

- They rank a top% of candidates UCATs and create a threshold from this (I think it's usually the 8th decile of all UCAT candidates).
- How the threshold works is if it was for example 2700, if you got 2700 or higher then you would receive an automatic interview as long as you have achieved a min of 7 7s at GCSE.
- Bare in mind however that the threshold changes yearly depending on the specific cohort of UCAT candidates (this year's was 2690 for dentistry).
- if your UCAT score is lower than the threshold then they would look at your application holistically (I.e they would look at a combination of your UCAT, GCSEs, Non-academic information form and your SJT band) and then invite you to interview based on these factors, depending on how many more interviews they need to fill for that specific year.
so as long as u meet the minimum requirements for predictions, they don't care about that?

Yep - providing you get a high UCAT score (more than 2700)
Reply 12
so as long as u meet the minimum requirements for predictions, they don't care about tha

From this year on, manchester don't care about predicted A-Levels for med n dent, however you would still have to get AAA in your actual a levels if you get an pffer
Original post by hadi_
For an invite to interview:

- They rank a top% of candidates UCATs and create a threshold from this (I think it's usually the 8th decile of all UCAT candidates).
- How the threshold works is if it was for example 2700, if you got 2700 or higher then you would receive an automatic interview as long as you have achieved a min of 7 7s at GCSE.
- Bare in mind however that the threshold changes yearly depending on the specific cohort of UCAT candidates (this year's was 2690 for dentistry).
- if your UCAT score is lower than the threshold then they would look at your application holistically (I.e they would look at a combination of your UCAT, GCSEs, Non-academic information form and your SJT band) and then invite you to interview based on these factors, depending on how many more interviews they need to fill for that specific year.

thank you! because on their website they listed ways to increase your chances or something like to improve your applications (join Duke of Edinburgh, take a 4th subject, etc.) bc its a very competitive course. So I was nervous abt that
would u say 2700 is a competitive score to get an offer or do you think way higher is needed like 3000?

From the open day it seemed like 2700 is UCAT cut off for interview, so if you get it you will get an interview
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by toothysmile
From the open day it seemed like 2700 is UCAT cut off for interview, so if you get it you will get an interview

So should i apply with a Ucat of 2720 band 2?
I also went to their open day and they did say ideally above 2700. On the UKCAT people website it says the lowest non contextual was 2800 but the average score is actually lower than the said cut off because on their website it says that if you achieve a score lower than this then they will consider your application holistically. I’d recommend checking out their website. But to be safe above 2700. I received an email stating “If your UCAT score is below the threshold, it is possible that if you meet the academic requirements, you may still be shortlisted for interview through a holistic assessment where the admissions tutor looks at the entirety of the application.”
Original post by saibakhan
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by saibakhan

Original post by basicbrowngirl
I also went to their open day and they did say ideally above 2700. On the UKCAT people website it says the lowest non contextual was 2800 but the average score is actually lower than the said cut off because on their website it says that if you achieve a score lower than this then they will consider your application holistically. I’d recommend checking out their website. But to be safe above 2700. I received an email stating “If your UCAT score is below the threshold, it is possible that if you meet the academic requirements, you may still be shortlisted for interview through a holistic assessment where the admissions tutor looks at the entirety of the application.”

Current BDS 1 at UOM
Lots of ppl in my cohort had ucat score in 2700s but not heard anything lower than 2700 so should be okay
Reply 18
Original post by Denttallity
Current BDS 1 at UOM
Lots of ppl in my cohort had ucat score in 2700s but not heard anything lower than 2700 so should be okay

I was thinking of applying to Sheffield instead. Do you think i’d have a better chance at sheff rather than Manchester? (in terms of ucat score)
Reply 19
Original post by Denttallity
Current BDS 1 at UOM

We’re they standard or contextual

Quick Reply

Latest