The Student Room Group

What is the worst looking uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Picnic1
I've only visited Cambridge once and didn't see the science site. I'm just going off your photos. The photo you've posted above is a 1950s building I would guess, looking like the more small scale, more homely (yet also sometimes classically inspired) modernism typical of its era. Sadly, such subtlety evaded many 60s architects who were attempting similarly scaled architecture and who dispensed with brick.

That building is recorded as being 1939-40, the same as the Austin building.
Reply 201
Is it just me, or is an abnormal portion of this thread dedicated to the University of Aberdeen? Lighten up! This isn't the 'my-university-is-better-than-yours' thread! Has anybody made a 'prettiest' University thread yet? :biggrin:
Original post by Wedgely
Is it just me, or is an abnormal portion of this thread dedicated to the University of Aberdeen? Lighten up! This isn't the 'my-university-is-better-than-yours' thread! Has anybody made a 'prettiest' University thread yet? :biggrin:

Every thread on TSR becomes one of those.
Reply 203
Original post by EdwardCurrent
Nottingham.

Who knows what they were thinking. Looks like something out of the ****ing Tellytubbies.

It looks like a giant red whisk. :confused: How did I miss that at the open day?
Reply 204
Original post by nulli tertius
That building is recorded as being 1939-40, the same as the Austin building.

OK, I partly based my estimation on my secondary school which was built in the mid 50s in a modernist meets classical style not unlike that.

This building at Leicester University from 1958 is also not dissimilar in style:

Green roofs were very in fashion for a long time in this style (appears at the base of the aerial on your photo too so the roof may be that colour). It's a hallmark that goes back to the popularity of the colour green in art deco.

Sorry for the rather niche nature of this discussion.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ilickbatteries
Nice architecture doesn't make up for being 44th in the league table and being in the arse end of nowhere.

Fortunately, employers don't often judge your degree on how pretty your university looks.

LMAO. This made my day
University of the West of Scotland for sure...
Essex is the worst one that I have been to. It looked so bad it made me die a little inside.
Original post by Blueflare
Essex is the worst one that I have been to. It looked so bad it made me die a little inside.

That's how I felt when I visited Kent. :sad:
Original post by TravelGuru

Original post by TravelGuru
Salford is probably the worst I have ever had the misfortune of visiting.

Are you joking? What's unattractive about Salford? Some of the older buildings such as peel are really beautiful, some of the newer buildings such as Cenetary are really contemporary. The lawns are well kept, the gardens are nice, and if you drive past at night the different floors of the main building are lit up.

There are two other uni's close by and i'd say Salford was the second most attractive, behind Manchester. Still, anyone who say's Salford is an unattractive university has clearly never been to MMU!
Christ aberdeen looks horrible
Original post by angrydanmarin

Especially when it's dark. :afraid:

Doesn't it?

I've been there once and didn't take to it. Grey, depressing and too far north for my liking.
Reply 214
Original post by gm15
Aston has to be one of the ugliest. Can't really find many pics. Suprisingly enough the uni doesn't seem to want people to se ehow ugly it is

I love the uni (I'm an Aston student) but I can't say we have very nice looking buildings... not even the new accommodation looks odd. At least they're knocking two of the hideous 60s accommodation blocks down!
Reply 215
Original post by RamocitoMorales
That's how I felt when I visited Kent. :sad:

I think you may be happier in this part of the forum:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=288
Reply 216
Original post by thefutile

I love the uni (I'm an Aston student) but I can't say we have very nice looking buildings... not even the new accommodation looks odd. At least they're knocking two of the hideous 60s accommodation blocks down!

Well it was my 5th option but when i went and visited i absolutely hated it there. Can't remember how the course presentation was but it would have to have been mind blowing to overcome the impression the campus gave.
Didn't help that the staff kept us waiting around for ages...multiple times.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jessicarghh101
Are you joking? What's unattractive about Salford? Some of the older buildings such as peel are really beautiful, some of the newer buildings such as Cenetary are really contemporary. The lawns are well kept, the gardens are nice, and if you drive past at night the different floors of the main building are lit up.

There are two other uni's close by and i'd say Salford was the second most attractive, behind Manchester. Still, anyone who say's Salford is an unattractive university has clearly never been to MMU!

Haha. I've been to both, and Salford is fugly, it is in a horrible location and the buildings are gastly, however this my opinion not yours so it cannot be refuted.
Reply 218
Original post by gm15
Well it was my 5th option but when i went and visited i absolutely hated it there. Can't remember how the course presentation was but it would have to have been mind blowing to overcome the impression the campus gave.
Didn't help that the staff kept us waiting around for ages...multiple times.

It was the opposite for me - I visited before making my choices and because of the visit, I put it as my firm. Just goes to show how everyone is looking for different stuff when it comes to a university, Aston is perfect for me but obviously it wasn't for you. It's a shame you didn't get a good impression of it though. I don't remember the staff holding us up on an open day but then again, I'm horribly biased and any negative points about the uni have been wiped out, haha.
Reply 219
I rather like Aston, I think it's cute and it has more character, to my mind, than Lancaster or York - both great unis close to great towns but I really dislike their campuses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending