The Student Room Group

What is the worst looking uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amani-puresapphire
None of the pictures look like anything from a secondary school :biggrin:

The first image looks like a mirror image to the secondary school I went to.
Aberdeen has got to be the worst looking uni i have ever seen
Original post by CatatonicStupor
I'd shoot for most science buildings. They always seem so drab:

Biosciences @ Cardiff
Polo Cravino @ Pavia
Norwood Block @ Bath
Medical Sciences @ Toronto
Life Sciences @ York

The list goes on and on and on...

Spoiler

It's hardly a fair comparison when you compare the Humanities buildings in Moscow with the Bioscience buildings at Bath.
Though I do think it is fair to say that the Science blocks tend to be uglier than the Humanities blocks- especially the Mathematics departments.
Original post by Alt__x
Thank you for the pictures, but given that I've lived in Aberdeen for sixteen years I have a pretty good idea what it looks like. It's a nice city...If you happen to like the colour grey.

RM = Owned! :yy:
Went to the Reading open day. That was pretty grim.
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
It's hardly a fair comparison when you compare the Humanities buildings in Moscow with the Bioscience buildings at Bath.
Though I do think it is fair to say that the Science blocks tend to be uglier than the Humanities blocks- especially the Mathematics departments.

Well, that's why I also compared it with the humanities buildings in Los Angeles, Montreal, Pavia and Lleida. :tongue:

But, that aside, you're right. It's pretty much a propaganda post, because you can't exactly compare a 1960s British style with 1950s Stalinist Neoclassicism. Yet, if I'd chosen Cardiff's Humanities building, and Cardiff's Main building (Chemistry & main Science library), I'd be disproving my own points.
Original post by outlaw-torn
I love most of the buildings at Leeds uni, but this one.. it scares me.

It's pretty ugly and it's always manic in there with people trying to get to lecture theatres.

Why does it have finshed toilet roll tubes growing down the walls????
Original post by NGC773

I think Aberdeen is a good uni... I'd rather be in their 'worst looking' buildings than in the David Hume Tower in Edinburgh Uni, or the Adam Smith building in Glasgow (one of my teachers says that the only good thing about having classes in there was that you didn't have to look at it :smile:).
Reply 348
Original post by rylit91
Fair enough, but I fail to see what attracts people to "brutalism". The very name makes me shiver.

From the French 'Béton brut' (raw concrete) according to Wikipedia. Yes, it does suggest 'brute' but it also suggests the imposing nature of the architecture at its best - good Brutalism should be ambitious, striking and imaginative (it should be postmodernist really) rather than being just cheap modernism.

The National Theatre for instance is good Brutalism - it is postmodernist in spirit (by which I mean adventurous in design - not strictly utilitarian) rather than being just cheap modernism.

Brutalism was sometimes expensive when it was a one-off by a respected architect. Cheap modernism isn't.

I admire the good Brutalism that we have, mainly in a few university and public buildings. Unfortunately, only a handful of architects could be trusted to make it interesting whilst others made it very tedious, especially by having interiors that aren't nearly as good.
Reply 349
At Southampton (and indeed many other Unis I believe) and University is split into schools.

I attend the School of Electronics and Computer Science, for example.
In America any educational institution is refered to as a school, whether you are in 1st grade or attending lectures for your Doctorite degree. So the term "school" would be appropriate terminology.

I don't think that the original poster fought in the Civil War, or is a baseball player for the Yankees =)
I know that. my point by posting was that you critiqued OP's comment for "incorrect terminology", yet, knowing that OP was American and following your logic, you should have used proper terminolgy so that "people don't see you as ignorant."

NBD, I just thought the way you contradicted yourself was kind of funny. :smile:
Original post by Allie-23
I know that. my point by posting was that you critiqued OP's comment for "incorrect terminology", yet, knowing that OP was American and following your logic, you should have used proper terminolgy so that "people don't see you as ignorant."

NBD, I just thought the way you contradicted yourself was kind of funny. :smile:

The OP is definitely not American, nor has been at any time in the past.
Original post by TheSownRose
The OP is definitely not American, nor has been at any time in the past.

Original post by linguisticsforfun
:biggrin:
For Edinburgh I applied to International Relations and Law (unconditional), Glasgow Politics and Social/Economic History (unconditional), Royal Holloway (my current first choice, of course, no reply yet) Multilingual Studies with International Relations, Aberdeen Linguistics in a World Context, and Greenwich (backup) Linguistics.

Tbh, I was an American who had no idea how to pick my schools. I just looked up the context of the schools, thoroughly researched my choices (looked at quite a few pictures online) and course listings, and had to choose from that. Miserable, compared to you Britons. :wink:

. . .
Original post by Allie-23
. . .

The OP in this thread is me, not linguisticsforfun.
Reply 355
Original post by GirlGerms.
Went to the Reading open day. That was pretty grim.

the law building is pretty though... :smile:
Original post by TheSownRose
The OP in this thread is me, not linguisticsforfun.

I meant the original poster of the converstaion between -------- and linguisticsforfun. I should have specified though, my bad.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by NGC773

Are you mad?

If only RamocitoMorales wasn't banned right now. :facepalm:
University Centre Peterborough (part of Anglia Ruskin):

That's literally the whole university. It's god awful.
Original post by Linweth
I think each university has its ugly buildings but I think the most hideous I have seen are Manchester Met and Sheffield Hallam.

Man met...
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending