The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Sheffield Wednesday charging fans up to £52 (yes, FIFTY TWO) for second-tier football next season.

Farce.
Original post by Mackay
Sheffield Wednesday charging fans up to £52 (yes, FIFTY TWO) for second-tier football next season.

Farce.

Scandalous isn't it? Word has it the Leeds and Rotherham 'derby' matches (if you can even call them derby games) are in that category. I'm livid.
Something needs to be done.
Original post by Jangrafess
Permanent. And I think we'll be top six again. We've strengthened the team with some excellent signings. Bjelland, the Danish international and a bunch of really highly rated players from various European teams. In recent weeks we've gone from the bookies 8th pick for promotion to 4th. It seems a little odd for people to be making statements about our promotion chances really though, because I can't imagine many people have heard of Kerschbaumer, Gogia, Bjelland or Barbet, our main signings apart from McEachran. Admittedly I don't know much about them either but I'd rather these well researched, relatively cheap signings, than the usual Championship method of swapping tired old hands well known to British lower league fans. All I can say is that I have faith that these signings won't have weakened the team and we haven't lost anyone we needed to keep (yet), so we'll do at least as well as last season.

I must say I too was rather surprised by the earlier comment re your chances.

I bet heavily on long term football markets and I certainly have Bees as top 6 material.

I wish you the best of luck.
Original post by Mackay

Farce.

Jesus ****. I thought Leeds were bad at £46 to see Fulham.

And Morecambe have cancelled a friendly against Blackpool due to fears of a protest

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11728/9914724/morecambe-are-cancelling-their-friendly-against-blackpool-amid-fears-of-protests-from-supporters-of-the-seasiders
Original post by TornadoGR4
Jesus ****. I thought Leeds were bad at £46 to see Fulham.

And Morecambe have cancelled a friendly against Blackpool due to fears of a protest

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11728/9914724/morecambe-are-cancelling-their-friendly-against-blackpool-amid-fears-of-protests-from-supporters-of-the-seasiders

Blackpool's the gift that keeps on giving for the neutrals. Sure, it must be horrible if you're a fan of them, but they are basically Harchester United.
Original post by Mackay

Farce.

Seriously!? That's appalling!
Original post by Mackay
Blackpool's the gift that keeps on giving for the neutrals. Sure, it must be horrible if you're a fan of them, but they are basically Harchester United.

:rofl:
Had 24 hours to think over the ticket price hike and i'll be boycotting for the entire season on principle after our York pre-season game on saturday (which thankfully wasn't anywhere near £52!).

The first season in my life (that I can remember of course) that I won't have attended at least 1 game.
Original post by Mackay

Farce.

Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Had 24 hours to think over the ticket price hike and i'll be boycotting for the entire season on principle after our York pre-season game on saturday (which thankfully wasn't anywhere near £52!).

The first season in my life (that I can remember of course) that I won't have attended at least 1 game.

Mad to think my season ticket for the Hamlet (although seventh tier), which covers all pre season games and cup matches, only cost 16 quid more.
That new Birmingham City away kit is the pits. I know it's based on the iconic 1972 strip, but Christ. Some things are better off left in the past, eh?
Not so much a football league related question but I figure you guys are the best to ask.

Tinkering with my Sun dream team and stuck between Deeney and Ighalo as my hidden gem. Deeney the more obvious choice, but Ighalo killing it in pre season and at the end of the last season.
Think Deeney will almost certainly be a great addition to the premier league and get goals, but Ighalo is just so tempting, especially being half the price. Thoughts?
Reply 3992
Original post by Mackay

Farce.

My god, tickets at Orient are only £15-£30
A lot of Championship teams going for a yellow away kit
Original post by The Wavefunction
Not so much a football league related question but I figure you guys are the best to ask.

Tinkering with my Sun dream team and stuck between Deeney and Ighalo as my hidden gem. Deeney the more obvious choice, but Ighalo killing it in pre season and at the end of the last season.
Think Deeney will almost certainly be a great addition to the premier league and get goals, but Ighalo is just so tempting, especially being half the price. Thoughts?

Wilson at Bournemouth would be my pick.
Happy birthday Jimmy Hill, the man brought in the first match programme, organised pre-match entertainment to encourage fans to arrive early, ntroduced the first electronic scoreboard in 1964, ised the first panel of football pundits for the 1970 World Cup and proposed three-points-for-a-win system to the FA.
Original post by Mackay
Wilson at Bournemouth would be my pick.

I considered him, but quickly cast those thoughts aside. Not sure how Bournemouth will do, think Watford have brought in the better players and have a better chance of overall success. Bournemouth remind of me of Swansea when they came up; they'll either fail miserably or be a big surprise.
Original post by The Wavefunction
I considered him, but quickly cast those thoughts aside. Not sure how Bournemouth will do, think Watford have brought in the better players and have a better chance of overall success. Bournemouth remind of me of Swansea when they came up; they'll either fail miserably or be a big surprise.

Thing is, Wilson will undoubtedly be Bournemouth's main goalscoring outlet. I can see Vydra doing as well as Deeney does, but any goals the Cherries score will surely come via Wilson (akin to Ings' propensity to net for Burnley when nobody else would!)
Original post by Mackay
Thing is, Wilson will undoubtedly be Bournemouth's main goalscoring outlet. I can see Vydra doing as well as Deeney does, but any goals the Cherries score will surely come via Wilson (akin to Ings' propensity to net for Burnley when nobody else would!)

That's a good point. Part of the problem with Ighalo, I'm pretty sure Deeney (believe he's their captain?) will start and then it'll be the flip of a coin between Vydra and Ighalo.

I like how I came with a problem choosing between two strikers, and I leave having to choose between three.
Not even started with the Ryman Premier League and we are already looking at one club not being able to start. Farnborough wont know their fate until the weekend before season opening on August 8th.

Mental to think one of our under 18 stars from the aspire academy trialled for Millwall on Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest